Sunday, July 5, 2009

In the Company of Heroes

After the farewell extravaganza in Tallahassee (see blog entry), a reporter asked me what it felt like to be a hero, or words to that effect. “I’m no hero,” I replied right away. I thought, We haven’t even left Florida; aren’t we being a bit premature? “Now these young soldiers, and the ones leaving behind their young children—they’re the heroes. And the ones who fought through the first part of this war, they’re heroes. And those who fought in Vietnam, and in World War II. They’re the heroes.”

I understand where the reporter was coming from. We Americans, we love our heroes. And so do I. Whether more or less than others, I can’t judge that. I just know that I value the sacrifice and personal expenditure so many have made, so that we can all be free and safe.

O beautiful, for heroes proved in liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!


As we sang this stanza of America the Beautiful in chapel this morning, time stood still—enough for me to glance around at the soldiers worshiping with me. Some were young, some old, some new to the military, some going back for their second or third tour. All of them are heroes to me. That is why I feel so honored to be their “Chappy.”

Band of Brothers, an HBO mini-series, recreated the events of “Easy Company” from before D-Day through the end of WWII, based on actual events and interviews. Lieutenant (later Major) Winters became the E Company commander, and one episode ends with the actual Major Winters discussing a letter he received from a comrade. Like Winters, the friend had been decorated by President Eisenhower for valor. “"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked the other day,” read an emotional Major Winters, “when he said, 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, 'No, but I served in a company of heroes.’”

We may not be destined for the hardships of Normandy or Bastogne, but I could not be more proud of these fine young men and women. It is an honor to serve in the company of heroes.

1 comment:

Barbara Bernhart said...

Just a note to get established.